Friday, January 29, 2016

Handprint Plaque with Dinosaur Footprints


Hand print crafts are a fun way to remember just how little your child once was. I wanted to have something my son would want to hang on his wall other than a paper hand print craft, so I decided to use plaster of paris.

I bought heart shaped plaster plaque mold. They are pretty inexpensive. We may even reuse it for my daughter to make a plaque for her own room. If you don't want to buy a mold, you could use some kind of plastic tray or bowl (like a cool whip container) that is large enough to fit your child's hand print.

Make the plaster of paris as indicated on the package, then pour in to your mold. Tap the bottom of the mold to release any air pockets and even out the plaster. Allow to dry for a while because sticking in your hand. It's hard to say how long it will take because it depends upon the humidity in your area and how thick your mixture is. The thicker your mixture, the quicker it will set and dry.

I made holes in the top by cutting up a thin straw (like the kind you stir coffee with) and inserting them in the plaster.

Make a handprint when it can still be inserted the plaster and keeps it shape. If it doesn't turn out just tap the bottom and it will make the plaster settle again. Don't tap it once you have a hand print you are satisfied with.

I did it a bit early and so my handprint has the peaks in it, so I decided it was best to paint around once it was dry so that the size of the hand was obvious. I then painted my son's name and age on there. And since he is really in to dinosaurs, I let him dip the feet of 2 dinosaurs in acrylic paint and make prints around the edge.

1 comment:

Bee Halton said...

That's a brilliant idea :-). Thanks for sharing and congratulations! I awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award.

http://beehalton.com/2016/01/seven-facts-about-bee-and-award.html

I awarded you because I believe you have an excellent blog and I want to introduce it to my readers. This award is great for that.

But I also know that awards are a lot of work, and they do not fit in every blog. So feel free to take part if it tempts you and if not go on with what you do best: Your blog!!!!!!