Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wordless Wedneday: Egg & Vinegar Science Experiment



This would be totally fun to do for an April Fools' Prank. Tell your Kids that you are magic and you can remove the egg shell without cracking the egg. They won't believe you, but in 2 days you will show them just how magical you are.


Start with an egg straight from the refrigerator
The shell is calcium carbonate (base)


Get some vinegar (acid) too


Put egg in a glass of vinegar
Watch the reaction start



After 1 Day
The bubbles are carbon dioxide that is released as a result of the reaction
The broken down shells will be the white foam on the top



After 2 Days
The shell is completely gone and what is left is the thin membrane around the egg

6 comments:

Patricia said...

Wow that is super cool. What a great science experiment for kids.

Jamie said...

How cool!!! I would just be worried of what my son would do after it was over...might have to show him the results outside! :)

Mom Knows Best said...

Very cool. My boys would love this experiment. I need to buy some eggs.

slehan said...

Pardon me while I go do this. Such a fun experiment. Can you still eat the egg?

slehan at juno dot com

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

My daughter loves doing science experiments. She would love this!

Stacey- Travel Blogger said...

How neat! I had no idea that would happen. Science continues to amaze me LOL!