Friday, March 20, 2015

Pottery Sea Turtle Soap Dish


I thought this turned out just lovely. I made this for our cabin as a soap dish there. To make this I slab rolled out my clay and cut out the shape that I had drawn free-hand on some newspaper. Then rolled on an open lace pattern over the turtle cut out. Next I punched out 3 holes for the water to drip out.

Next I made ball feet for underneath it. I made 5 of them, 4 of which went under the main body and the 5th one went under the head. then I curved the flippers, head and feet slightly downward while curving the body inward  so that it gave it some shape and wasn't a flat turtle and gave the soap somewhere to rest.

10 comments:

Cyndi Buchanan said...

Great job! I wish I could get into making pottery!

Unknown said...

Very cool, great job!

Debi at Life Currents said...

I love pottery! This is so cute!

Dede said...

This is so neat! You're very creative. I've only tried pottery once (in high school) and it didn't turn out so well.

Stacey- Travel Blogger said...

I love DIY decor! I will have to try to make myself one!

Jenny Temcio said...

How cute! You did a wonderful job making this! Great job!

Felissa @ Two Little Cavaliers said...

I love sea turtles! This is a must have for my bathroom!

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

Our bathroom is beach themed! This would fit right in!

Laura O in AK said...

I love this soap dish! Turtles are a favorite of mine (sorority mascot.)

Kimmie said...

Aww I love it! Turtles are one of my favorites and I think you did a great job in making it actually look like one. Nicely done.